Anders Hinsby, CEO of Orphazyme ApS, says: “The whole team at Orphazyme has been working tirelessly to bring our technology and scientific advancements from the laboratory into the clinic. With Thomas Blaettler now on board, we will be well equipped to design and implement long-term clinical strategies, fulfilling our aim to improve the lives of those suffering with rare, and often fatal, diseases.”
A new treatment for a currently incurable group of inherited neurological diseases that affect 1 in 10000 children has been revealed, which works by triggering the body’s own ‘recycling’ system. New research by scientists at Orphazyme ApS, published in Science Translational Medicine, reveals a promising method to treat several diseases in the sphingolipidoses family of lysosomal storage diseases. These debilitating disorders, including Niemann-Pick type C, Fabry, and Sandhoff diseases, involve the accumulation of sphingolipids (fat molecules) in the cells and are often fatal during early childhood.
Sunstone Life Science Fund III portfolio company Rigontec, the leader in RIG-I targeting RNA therapeutics, has announced that it has secured EUR 15 million in a third and final closing of its Series A round. The financing represents additional capital from current investors Boehringer Ingelheim Venture Fund, Forbion Capital Partners, High-Tech Gründerfonds (HTGF), NRW.BANK, MP Healthcare Venture Management, Sunstone Capital and Wellington Partners Life Sciences. The funding will advance the ongoing development of Rigontec’s RIG-I agonist platform targeting oncological, anti-infective and inflammatory indications as well as accelerate the progress of lead candidate RGT100 towards the clinic.
Sunstone Life Science Fund II portfolio company VAXIMM AG, a Swiss/German biotech company focused on developing oral T-cell immunotherapies, today announced the appointment of Matthias Schroff, PhD, as Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
Dr. Schroff has over fifteen years of experience in the biotechnology industry. Previously, he was CEO of Mologen AG, a publicly traded German biotech company, serving on the company’s executive board for over ten years. In the eight years that Dr. Schroff served as CEO, he built Mologen from an early preclinical stage to an established immuno-oncology company with programs in Phase 2 and 3 clinical trials. In addition to his position at Mologen, Dr. Schroff served on the Board of Directors of the biotech arm of the Association of Research-based Pharmaceutical Companies (vfA bio). During his career, Dr. Schroff has served in a variety of functions, including research, manufacturing, scientific collaborations, for example with the MD Anderson Cancer Center, clinical development, business development and investor relations. He is the inventor of numerous patents in the field of immuno-oncology, RNAi and gene expression, including a TLR9 agonist that is now in late-stage clinical development for various cancer indications. Dr. Schroff received his PhD in biochemistry from Freie Universität Berlin at the Institute of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, where he was involved in clinical trials in immunotherapy against cancer as early as 1994.
We are kicking off another search for an associate to join our Copenhagen office. Sunstone is one of Europe’s leading venture firms, with over $1BN in committed capital. We are based in Copenhagen and in Berlin and invest in technology startups all across Europe. We were privileged to be early investors in European successes such as Prezi, Neo Technology, GetYourGuide, Boozt.com, Seriously, Dubsmash and many more.
As an associate, you’ll be an integral part of our investment team. You’ll learn what the venture capital business is all about and gain insight into many fascinating technology startups. Our past associates have later joined a venture backed startup as CEO, or stayed on to become a principal within our team.
Mission: help us identify and invest in transformative European startups
– You will identify entrepreneurs we should get to know and new companies we should reach out to, mostly from your desk
– You will help us qualify the large dealflow we receive and allocate our time to the right opportunities – we expect you to own our dealflow management processes
– You will perform market research, competitor analysis, and due diligence on potential investments
– You will support us in the execution of deals
– You will be free to execute projects of your own design that help us and/or our portfolio companies
– Deep understanding of the ecosystem of internet and mobile services – we expect personal familiarity with a wide range of services.
– A structured mind and strong analytical skills – we expect you to be able to switch effortlessly between analysing granular data and juggling with abstract concepts.
– Strong interpersonal skills – you’ll often be talking to entrepreneurs on behalf of Sunstone.
– Curiosity – you’ll be looking at companies looking to transform areas ranging from agriculture to software, having a curious mind is absolutely key.
– Determination, strong drive and the ability to self-direct – your work and time is inherently open-ended. You must be able to identify and execute on opportunities to contribute to the team with little guidance.
– Strong written and oral communication skills in English – we value and want to hear your opinion. It’s important that you’re able to argue it convincingly.
– Comfortable working with data in Excel/Google Sheets.
We’re open to all types of professional and educational backgrounds (engineering, business, finance, etc), but have high standards. We are looking for candidates with one or two years of professional experience. You need to have already learned how to work efficiently.
Our process has three stages:
– First, we’d like to review your CV. If you feel that some other links might help us to understand you better, you are welcome to add them. We’re asking you fill out this private webform to submit your application.
– Second, we’d like to hear from you directly, so we’ll ask selected applicant to record two short videos answering two questions. “Which of our portfolio companies do you find most interesting and why?” (up to a 90-second response) and a surprise second question. The video responses will be collected securely and privately.
– Third, we’ll invite selected applicants to spend time with us in our office in Copenhagen.
We look forward to hearing from you!
The Sunstone team.